17 February 2007

San Francisco Day 1

Clean. Crisp. Cool. It was a gorgeous day in San Francisco. From Alcatraz to the seafood, life is beautiful everywhere you look here. The morning began with a classic diner breakfast, a walk on the pier, seeing sea lions, and a walk to Pier 33 in order to catch a ferry boat to Alcatraz. The boat ride was so enjoyable, cruising under the warm lazy sun. Once you reach the Island its a long steep trek to the entrance of the cell block, which started as a Military base, then became a Federal Prision, and later was occupied by American indians as a politcial statement.

After Alcatraz we ate some yummy clam chowder in bread bowls at the pier. San Francisco is full of culture, and art specially at the pier. I saw several street artists, many musicians, and many sculptures lining the walk ways. There is also a very active homeless community pan handling, creating art, and performing. I saw the world famous bush man and a man sitting there counting his money and then as we passed began asking for donations in an almost radio announcer voice... Pan handling has proved to be a relatively profitable trade... i saw a wonderful documentary about it at the Dallas Video Festival in August. Among the performers was a man "breathing" fire, and another man making animal noises, I thought for sure he had lost his mind. That brings me to the tee-shirt I want to buy, an alcatraz psych ward one. (I didn't end up getting a shirt, but I did get a voodoo doll; the In Love one which is suppose to help me find that special someone... )

I learned that Giradellhi chocolate orginated here... which is one of my favorites. After playing on the pier, we tried to take a trolly to chinatown, but it would take way too long so we walked a little further and explored the Hyde pier with seveal different old boats we were able to go aboard. I met my dream house, it was once part of a boat but it was wonderfully quaint. It was a beautiful day and beautiful night. Now for a movie, Parent Trap (lindsay lohan one.). This movie has a fantastic soundtrack. L-O-V-E it!

Tomorrow, some more exploring and the movie premiere at the San Francisco Independent Film Festival!
Goodnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home